I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rest

As I was with my grandson last week, I was reminded just how much we are alike. It wasn't so much a physical resemblance, (though the thigh rolls looked quite similar), rather it was how quickly he could go from being perfectly content, to completely upset in just a matter of minutes. At times he was practically inconsolable. All his basic needs had been met. He had been fed recently, his diaper was dry, he was fully clothed, and he was around people who loved him. He had just been playing and smiling and yet, for some reason, he suddenly became unhappy. He was tired and needed a nap, but he continued to fuss, struggle, and refused to give up his fight. Sometimes his crying went on for an hour. His mom and I knew he needed to relax, settle down, close his eyes, and rest in the arms of the ones who loved him, but he chose to fuss, wiggle, arch his back, and scream! We would rock, walk, and rock some more, and eventually he would give up and fall asleep, but not till he had made himself "most miserable!" I had to smile. The change was dramatic! The look on his face now was one of peace and contentment. And, once again, life was as it should be. How much easier would it have been, if he had just closed his eyes, and found rest in the arms of his Gramma!

I thought about how many times I do the same thing. Things seem to be going fairly well. I have all the necessities of life. I have food to eat, clothes to wear, a home to live in, and a family who loves me, and yet, something goes crazy in my mind and I loose it! I begin to fret about the "what if's". I worry about finances. I'm frustrated about decisions that need to be made. Fear begins to creep in, and emotionally I'm drained and tired. What I need to do is to curl up in my Father's loving arms and find peace and rest there. Instead, I usually begin to fuss. Soon this becomes a frantic cry as I wiggle and fight the One who is trying to soothe me. It would be so much simpler if I quit my fretting and rested, but like my grandson, Ben, I choose to struggle against the very things and the very One that would help me.

In those times of distress, I need to remind myself that taking time to rest in the Lord will do wonders for me, as well as for my loved ones around me. There is nothing worse than a frantic, crying, inconsolable woman!!

So the next time you find yourself weary and tired, instead of fighting it, allow the Lord to hold you in His arms and comfort you with His love, and find the peaceful rest you truly need. I'll try to do the same!


"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment