I have discovered over the years, that life can be challenging. God desires to sustain us as we look for "splashes of His grace" every day. My desire is that through posts, or book reviews, you may find something that points you to the grace of God, and that He ultimately will make a difference in your life.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Choices, Choices, Choices!!

Life is full of choices. In fact, if you think about it, each day is a continual chain of choices.  Some choices are easy and become automatic, like brushing your teeth and putting on deodorant in the morning. (Yes, even those are choices!) Other choices may take more thought and deliberation as you decide what you will do. Whether big or small, your choices will determine the outcome of your day, week, year, and ultimately your life and eternity! 
 
With my three year old grandson, Ben, here this week, I've been reminded of this. You see, lately Ben has been learning the importance of making "good" choices. Since all choices have consequences, his mom is trying to teach him to make good choices. She reminds him that when he makes "good" choices, good things will happen -- he gets to do things, earns treats, and life in general is better for him and those around him. When he makes "bad" choices, then bad things will happen -- he will have time outs, loose his leap pad or some other privilege for the day, and life in general is hard and unhappy.  He even has a "Good Choices Chart," to encourage him to make good choices. He's beginning to get the idea, but then there are days when he doesn't seem to care about the stickers at all.  On one of those days, when his mom was telling him he needed to make better choices.  He replied, "I'll make good choices tomorrow.  Today I want to make bad choices." 
 
When I think about it, some days I feel the same way, but I just don't say it out loud. I know I should make good choices, but today, I just want to make bad choices.  I want to eat the wrong things.  I don't want to exercise. I want to get angry at that rude person. I don't want to admit I was wrong. I want to nurse a hurt and hold a grudge. I want to be selfish and get my way. I want to act like a three year old!!  I will make good choices tomorrow, but today I want to make bad choices!  What we need to remember though is ALL choices have consequences. Some are more serious than others, but each choice you make can have an effect on you and those around you.
 
The Bible says a lot about choosing and making choices. From the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were given a choice.  They could enjoy the daily fellowship with God and each other, or they could choose to disobey.  Their bad choice reaped consequences that we are still experiencing today. Their choice introduced sin into the world and brought about death.

God offered the Israelites a choice in Deuteronomy 30:19.
"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants."
We continue to have the opportunity to choose life over death, blessing over the curse.  God offers us life, abundant life, even in the little things. When we choose to do things God's way, we put ourselves in a position to experience His help, blessing, and most importantly His presence.
 
I am so thankful that Jesus chose to do the Father's will and die on the cross for all my bad choices -- my sin. Unlike the first Adam's choice, which brought about death, His choice brings life.  His forgiveness is available and He offers it to you today. Will you make the best and most important choice of your life today -- to trust in Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?  This Easter, will you "choose life in order that you may live?"  If you do, then God will enable you, through the Holy Spirit, to continue to make the "good choices" in life that will allow you to enjoy all that He has in store for you now and for eternity!

What will you choose today?
 

1 comment:

  1. Debbie - this is all so true! Our little ones teach us alot about God's grace, forgiveness and love! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete